Charles Lee Ray, also known as the Lakeshore Strangler, was Chucky's original human form.
Child's Play (1988)
Chased and engaged in a shoot-out with detective Mike Norris, Charles is shot in his leg. His accomplice Eddie abandons him in their get-away van when Jack Santos approaches in his police car. With nowhere left to run, Charles hides in a nearby toy store but is fatally shot by Mike. Knowing he will die soon, he plans on using the soul transferring technique he was taught by his voodoo instructor John. However, he cannot find another person nearby to switch souls with, and in desperation decides to use a Good Guy doll. He swears to Mike that he would come back for him, before using his amulet, the Heart of Damballa, to transfer his soul into the doll. The store is then struck by lightning, and Mike finds Charles dead.
Bride of Chucky (1998)
With the fingerprints of Charles found on a cigarette lighter at a recent murder scene, the police plan to excavate his corpse to find out what is going on. Before the police go through with and open his coffin, Chucky arrives with Jade to retrieve the Heart of Damballa from around his skeleton's neck.
Curse of Chucky (2013)
Before the events of the first film, Charles had a double life as a serial killer and a regular civilian. At one point, a mutual friend of his introduced him to a woman named Sarah. Charles becomes increasingly obsessed with Sarah, and about taking her husband's place.
Intending not to let Sarah go, Charles kills her husband and after his funeral, he kidnaps her. He ties her up inside his safe house, while his accomplice Eddie waits in their van outside. However, much to Charles' surprise, the police are quick to have his safe house surrounded, because Sarah had managed to call the cops. Feeling betrayed, Charles stabs her in the stomach, hitting the baby inside. Right after, Charles escapes the house, intending to reach Eddie, but instead Eddie drives away before Charles can reach him. He is then pursued by detective Norris.
- Vivian Van Pelt: Strangulation. Off-screen.
- Tiffany's Mother: Death mentioned. (Seed of Chucky)
- Daniel Pierce: Drowned. Off-screen.
- His name is derived from the names of three notorious killers: Charles Manson, Lee Harvey Oswald, and James Earl Ray.
- According to Mike Norris, Charles lived at 730 Stoney Island on the Southside.
- In the Child's Play 2 novel, it is revealed that he was born to a Irish-American mother, who came from a wealthy family but also worked as a bartender and dancer. His father was an Austrian immigrant and an alcoholic, and would frequently abuse Charles and his mother.
- The story of Charles Lee Ray becoming the killer doll has become a legend in the Child's Play universe, as a movie about him had been made in Hollywood in Seed of Chucky, called "Chucky Goes Psycho".